Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OxyGen Extreme Supplement

Have you heard of the equine supplement OxyGen Extreme? Their web site is Oxyinfo.com, under Horse Products. The ingrediants are: Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Forage Products, Brewers Dried Yeast, Wheat germ Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Celate, Glucosamine HCI, Glucosamine Sulfate, and Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). Besides the joint ingrediants, do you see any benefit to this product and it's claims? What can brewers dried yeast and wheat germ meal do for performance, health and fitness?

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: OxyGen Extreme Supplement

Hi Lisa,

I took a look at this product and it does not compare to the joint supplement I offer to my clients. Please take a look at Actiflex 4000 (liquid) or Actiflex powder on my website store. It is far more concentrated than OxyGen and highly effective.

Brewer's yeast offers some B vitamins but not large amounts in this product. I often recommend a B complex preparation called B Plex to provide a larger dosage of B vitamins. They are helpful in calming the nervous system and helping the body deal with performance stress.

Wheat germ is a nutritious food. And, as such, boosts the overall health of your horse. However, here again, you would need to feed it in large quantities for it to have any benefit, and this supplement only offers wheat germ in tiny amounts.

I much prefer feeding flaxseed meal to provide omega 3 fatty acids. Wheat germ is rather low in omega 3 fatty acids.

So, in all honesty, this is not a product that I would offer on my website since there are better ones available.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr G
The supplements you have mentioned for joints- good for a horse after ocd surgery?

Where are you from? Canada

Hi Mandy,

Yes, I would consider a supplement that is high in glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and hyaluronic acid. The one I recommend is Actiflex 4000. However, since shipping to Canada would be expensive, you may be able to find something comparable there.

Let me know what you find.

Dr. Getty