Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
No grain!

Hi Dr. Getty

My horse's "perfect" diet turned out not to be so ideal. I thought I was giving her the best by buying her the best food available. Only problem is that she gets horrible diarrhea from it. I wasn't so sure at first if it was the grain (Capstone Horse Feeds btw) but once I took her off it the diarrhea disappeared. I found one other grain that worked alright but the quality was not very good and I have decided that until we do more serious work I would like to take her off the hardfood.

Here is my question: Could I make up my own mix and would the following be ok:

2 or 3 handfuls of oaten chaff (oat hay)
2 or 3 handfuls of alfalfa chaff
1 handful soybean meal
Sunflower and flaxseed oil (depending on workload)
Vitamin and Mineral mix.
Joint supplements, garlic etc.

Is there anything else you could recommend or would this be suitable??? My horse is ridden 6 days a week, usually for an hour to just over an hour. 3 hacks, 3 schooling sessions, one which is jumping and 2 dressage. She is a hot horse but a good doer despite being a Thoroughbred. She is 15 years old.

Hope you can help and a big thanks once again!

Where are you from? South Africa

Re: No grain!

Hi Christine,

Well, there was evidently something in the complete ration that did not agree with her digestive system. And, I much prefer the ingredients you have mixed -- they are balanced and quite healthful.

The only thing I would add is a B Complex to help calm her nervous system.

Change over very, very slowly -- this can also contribute to diarrhea. It takes a week to 10 days of changing to another diet so the bacterial flora have an opportunity to adjust.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Awesome thanks - B complex - like a B vitamin supplement???

Hi Christine,

Yes, a B complex supplement such as B Plex. Take a look at this link and see if you can find something similar in your area: www.gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/bplex.htm

Best regards,

Dr. Getty