Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pellets and Automatic Feeders

Dr. Getty, I sometimes travel for work and when in town come home many days at odd hours which prevents me from feeding my two horses at consistent times. I have been researching automatic feeders. Today, I feed my animals alfalfa/grass hay flakes from bales twice a day. While researching automatic feeders, I noticed that most are made for pellets and grain. First questions is, do you recommend automatic feeders? And next, can I feed pellets through an automatic feeder and mix in hay flakes at will? My travel may only take me away for 2-3 days at the most. Both of my animals are over 1300lbs and I do live in a colder winter climate.

Thanks,

Todd

Where are you from? Salt Lake City

How did you locate this forum? Internet

Re: Pellets and Automatic Feeders

Hi Todd,

Automatic feeders are a good idea as long as they work. I have heard stories of them jamming, or allowing too much feed to be released.

You know, as long as you have a good quality hay available at all times, along with temperature controled water, being late a few hours for their pellet meal will not be a problem. Horses need to graze and nibble 24/7, so having access to pasture or hay throughout the day and night is the best thing for their digestive systems.

If you are going to be skipping meals at times (for their other feeds, supplements, etc.), then an automatic feeder will be worth investigating.

Thanks for writing!

Happy Holidays,

Dr. Getty