Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Raw apple cider vinegar

Dr. Getty - What is your input on giving horses raw apple cider vinegar. I currently give both my horses 1 oz a day in there feed, I found a lot of info on it on the internet on how good it is for them. Was just wondering what you thought of it. I don't use the kind from the store, this is from a health food store, the Raw kind. Thanks Vicky

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Raw apple cider vinegar

Hi Vicky,

When you say, "raw" do you mean that it is not pasteurized? If so, I would not recommend it since unpasteurized cider can harbor dangerous E. Coli bacteria and make your horses very seriously ill.

Apple cider vinegar has been used to assist with insect repelling, as well as skin conditions. There is really no scientific evidence that it is effective, however, it will not hurt (as long as it is pasteurized!).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, Thanks for you response. In looking at the bottle, it is unpasturized therefore I will stop immediately giving it to my horses. Why then can a person read so much about the raw vinegar being so good for horses. Would the store bought apple cider be ok? I have a lot of info on the vinegar and what it does to help the horses, but I will not be using the raw anymore.

Hi Vicky,

Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Yes, the store-bought variety would be fine. It's best to avoid the unpasteurized version, for your horses or even for yourself.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks, I feel so foolish for not noticing that. No more of the raw kind. I don't know what I'd do if it was me that gave them something that made them sick they are very healthy right now. So in your opinion, it really doesn't serve much good for them? I mean the papers I ran off the internet told of many things for them. But I feel you would know more about it and I will trust your opinions. Thanks Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Most horses like apple cider vinegar, and so it is useful in helping a poor eater or encouraging them to eat their feed that contains supplements that may not be very tasty.

It may also be helpful for insect stings, but there is no scientific proof of that.

So, my opinion? It doesn't hurt, but it likely doesn't help much either. With one exception -- if a horse is likely to have an ulcer, which 90% of stalled horses do have, then I would not recommend feeding such an acidic substance.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty