Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More on the low starch feed

Hi Dr. Getty and a Very Happy New Year to you. Sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same question over again. But I'm the one who was asking about a good feed for my fondered horse. I'm doing the Triple Crown low starch, but now we may be getting another horse for my husband as we need to semi-retire his horse. So you recommended the Tc, Purina Ultium, or the Nutrena Safe Choice. I want to keep one type of feed for all 3, so what do you think would be the lowest in the 3 for the sugars/carbs? My 11 yr. old definately does NOT need one granuel of sugar, he needs a downer Would giving him some extra Vit. B calm him down some? Hope I'm not boring you, but I knew I could get the right answer from you. Thank you very much. Vicky

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: More on the low starch feed

Hi Vicky,

A very happy New Year to you, too! All three are excellent, however, for a retired horse, my first choice would be Triple Crown Low Starch. Purina Ultium is excellent but is more designed for the horse that is very active. Safe Choice likely has a small amount of additional sugar.

Often times when a horse has a "hot" temperament, it is indicative of not enough B vitamins and sometimes, not enough magnesium. So, there two products that I would suggest you try -- one is B Plex, which is a concentrated B complex. I would suggest feeding 2 ounces per day until you see results, and then you can likely cut back to one ounce per day for maintenance.

The other is Quiessence, which is a magnesium source. I would recommend feeding just one scoop per day for this issue, rather than the 4 scoop/day dosage listed on the label.

Both of these products are available on my website where you can read more about them.

Now, having said that, for your horse that foundered, the best supplement would be Laminex. This will help his tissues heal, as well as help prevent another episode.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you so much for your quick reply. What is your website so I can go into it? I have looked in the Valley Vet Supply book and they do not have the B-Complex. Yes, Cash can be quite the handful, but hopefully with the TC and some added B, it will bring him down. I will just stick with the TC if it has the lowest sugar content. Thanks again, and if I think of anything else, I'll post. Vicky

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Vicky,

Good plan! You can access my store through my homepage at http://gettyequinenutrition.com -- there is a link on top to my Free Shipping Store.

Or you can access the store directly at http://horsesupplements.gettyequinenutrition.biz.

I offer a select group of products that I feel are worthwhile. Catalogs with page after page of products can be quite overwhelming and confusing. So, I only offer supplements that I recommend and would use for my own horses.

Keep me posted on how things are going!

Dr. Getty