Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Yearling with slight irregularity-OCD problem

Hi there
I have had a lot of different opinions on this
I have a TB yearling colt who has a slight irregularity within his right stifle (They say possible OCD issue)
I've read that it is best to feed a "non" high energy diet to decrease OCD problems.
Is this true? Should oats be cut out completely and just
feed hay?
What are your thoughts? Any one else have these issues or any info?
Thanks

Where are you from? Edmonton

How did you locate this forum? Web

Re: Yearling with slight irregularity-OCD problem

Hi CR,

Yes, what you have read is correct. It has been confirmed that high-starch diets contribute to osteopathic disorders in young horses. So, I would recommend that you eliminate oats and all grain-based feeds from his diet.

Instead, a really simple way to feed that is safe and nutritious would be to mix a few ingredients on your own. For example, beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, and flaxseed meal, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is an excellent way to feed. Of course, this combined with pasture and/or hay. Some alfalfa hay is important for a growing fellow, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi
The colt just had the surgery on both stifles. Everyone went well. He will be on stall rest 2 weeks, then another 4 weeks with handwalking for 10 mins.

He is about 16hh. I don't want him to gain weight because he isn't doing anyting...but I don't want him to loose weight either. Would it be best to feed small portions of hay through the day? If so how much?
Does he need any sort of grain?

Hi M,

I would give him enough hay to allow him to chew throughout the day and night -- you don't want for him to go without anything available -- this can cause stomach problems.

Generally speaking, a 500 kg horse will require between 10 and 12.5 kg of hay each day.

Instead of grain, offer him some sweet beet pulp -- this is much safer than grain.

Hope all goes well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr Getty
My colt had surgery a few weeks ago. Today was his first day walking-just 10mins nice and slow. I noticed he is pretty weak in his right back leg. I am assuming its from the stall rest and the surgery of course.
Is this the norm? I did notice he is walking better now than before the surgery though-even with the weakness

Where are you from? Canada

Hi Mandy,

From what you describe, it certainly sounds appropriate that he would be weak so soon after surgery. However, I would consult with your veterinarian to be certain that he is healing properly.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi there
Since this is my first experience with surgery...I'm just wondering how long they *usually* are showing lameness after stifle surgery. I realize that results vary on the individual, but I am curious as to what other people have experienced with their horses.
Thanks.

Hi Mandy,

How is your colt doing? You're right -- it really does depend on the individual. Feed him well, let him move at his own pace, and continue to consult with your vet.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Re:

Hi Dr Getty
We bumped him up to 20min- 30 min walk. He is still sore/stiff but I am starting to see improvement. He is walking slightly faster and full of beans! I know it is a slow and long healing process. I just want to do everything I can for him.

I should probably post a seperate comment, but my 3 yr old filly has been sick, so is on stall rest. Now she is stocked up in behind. I'm not sure if I can give her anything for this. I have had her feed cut back. I'm assuming some handwalking can help with this? Any other suggestions for stocking up problems?

Thanks for you advice.

Hi Mandy,

Stocking up is swelling that is typically caused by stall confinement, along with lack of exercise and a grain diet.

So, stall confinement is not the answer. Mild exercise generally allows the swelling to disappear.

Running cool water on the legs can be helpful, as well.

Glad your colt is doing better!

All the best,

Dr. Getty