Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

   Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  


All the best,

 Dr. Getty 


Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
hives (2)

I just realized that my previous post regarding hives was probably more appropriate addressed to an Allergist than a Nutritionist; however, in reading the post regarding acorns, I'm wondering if my horse might be eating oak leaves...there are many oak trees in the paddocks. Could a reaction to oak leaves cause hives? Thanks.

Where are you from? Wimberley, Texas

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: hives (2)

Hi Jean,

An allergist can tell you what your horse might be allergic to, if it is in fact an allergy. A nutritionist, like myself, can provide you with may be happening at the cellular level. So, your question is very appropriate.

Oak leaves are toxic for horses. If a horse eats an occasional leaf or acorn, it is not a problem. And, most horses will leave them alone as long as they have adequate quality pasture. But, this time of year, combined with the awful drought we're experiencing in Texas, produces very little quality grazing grass. So, if you have oak trees, this can be problematic.

Yes, hives and other immune responses can be caused by oak leaves, bark, and acorns. If too much is consumed, for too long a period of time, the liver will suffer. So, I'm glad you brought this up. See what you can do to remove the oak trees from your horses' access.

All the best,

Dr. Getty