Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Safe & Sound

Hi, Dr. Getty: I saw that someone else here is feeding Safe & Sound. My feed store has recommended it to me, but I'm not convinced that I should switch from Safe Choice to Safe & Sound. Have you done any research on it? It's made by Acco Feeds ( http://www.accofeeds.com ) and claims to be low in starch, with added fat and high digestible fiber. The brochure says that it was formerly sold under the name "Professional Breeders Formula."

When I pulled the tag, the main ingedients listed are: grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products, and roughage products. I contacted a rep and he told me that he couldn't break that down at all since it's proprietary information. He wouldn't even say if it contains corn & oats (which I don't want Fantasia to have), versus beet pulp, flax, soy, etc. (which I do want her to have). The first & third ingredients leave me feeling doubtful. Do you have any info on it?

Thanks,
~Jennifer & Fantasia

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Safe & Sound

Jennifer - Check out Purina Ultium at www.ultium.com and select "Product Specs" from the menu bar. I'm having feeding challenges, and even though I recently switched to Safe & Sound, I am now switching to Ultium. (And, yes, I know switching often is not good, and I am making these changes gradually.) It does have oats and corn, however, they are behind several other great ingredients on the very specific ingredient list. I also like the fact that it is 11.7% protein rather than the 14% protein content of Safe and Sound. I can't explain it, and Dr. Getty may not agree with me, but whenever my horses have been on a 14% protein feed, they are much more difficult to manage both on the ground and in the saddle. I have a couple of friends who have had the same experience with feeds that have protein contents higher than 12%. And, Ultium is one of the feeds that Dr. Getty recommended in an earlier posting titled, I believe, "Best Feed." I am very eager to find the perfect feed for my horses, as I have finally begun to realize how important feeding correctly is! Good luck in your search. Jean

Where are you from? Wimberley, Texas

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi, Jean: thanks for the recommendation. I did check out Ultium a while back, but I *think* it was the feed that was recommended for horses in heavy work, competition, etc. My filly is only 2.5, so won't be started under saddle for some time. Heavy work is a long way off for her. :~)

I'm considering switching from Safe Choice to Triple Crown Low Starch. I like the listed ingredients better, but I'll have to drive 30 minutes to get it (as opposed to 5 minutes to get Safe & Sound). I wonder if Triple Crown Low Starch really is superior to Safe Choice/Safe & Sound. If it is, I'll happily make the drive.

The forum was down for a while last night, so I emailed Dr. Getty privately about Safe & Sound. Her response was, "Safe and Sound by Acco is identical to Safe Choice by Nutrena. Actually, they are the same company." In case anyone else was wondering.

~Jennifer

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Hi Jennifer and Jean,

My first preference is Triple Crown Low Starch. It has more fiber than the Safe Choice. The protein and fat content is similar to Safe Choice. But, I also like the TC better because I know what's in it. Nutrena will not give the exact ingredients, except the vague "plant products." Nevertheless, I did talk to the people at Nutrena and the starch level is very low, so the "plant products" are derived from soybean hulls, beet pulp and grain byproducts, which is fine.

As far a protein causing behavior changes, here is my take on it. The "percent crude protein" on a feed label tells you absolutely nothing about the quality of the protein. It simply means the amount of nitrogen in the feed. If the amount of nitrogen in a feed is high, and the protein quality is mediocre, it will cause a surge in insulin levels, much like feeding starch or sugar will do. For many horses, this surge produces "hot" behavior. So, when evaluating protein levels, I look at the ingredients rather than the percentage, since that's where the importance lies.

So, bottom line -- Ultium is great for horses that are working. TC is better than Safe Choice, but Safe Choice (or Acco's Safe and Sound -- same thing) is a fine general feed that is low in starch.

One more thing I'll add in this long post... Complete rations, like the ones we're discussing can be fine to feed, but it is very difficult to regulate the amount of vitamins and minerals your horse is receiving unless you feed the recommended amounts printed on the bag. Often times, this amount is far too much. So, the problem becomes -- do you supplement or not? So, because of this, I generally prefer to mix my own ingredients and add a good vitamin/mineral supplement to the mixture. This is more time consuming, so it depends on your situation, but it is the ideal way to go when feeding horses, in my opinion.

Ok -- lots of "food" for thought!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Mixing own rations

HI, Dr. Getty,
I saw that you mix your own grain and supplements. I am looking into doing it like that instead of a complete feed, because the feed that I am feeding my horse would need 4 pounds a day and that is not what he will ever need. During the summer he gets maybe a pound or so. What grains do you recommend mixing and what supplements. Do you recommend Dynamites Complete pelleted grain or any of Advanced Bilogical Concepts products? Kristi

Where are you from? Vermont

How did you locate this forum? looking up nutrition on google

Hi Kristi,

Dynamite is a good overall vitamin/mineral supplement. I generally recommend Accel instead because in addition to the vitamin, minerals, and amino acids, it also contains digestive microbials and enzymes.

You can add Dynamite or Accel to a mixture of that you prepare yourself consisting of Beet pulp for energy, and some flaxseed meal for important omega 3 fatty acids.

Of course, grass hay or pasture at all times, fresh water, and salt.

All the best,

Dr. Getty