Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Another question! Corn oil for ulcers?

Sorry to ask so many questions! I was reading the other topics on the forum, and am wondering for ulcers if corn oil would be worth feeding. He has kissing spines in his back so he doesnt need extra inflamation! He's not working much though right now. He's on a double dose a msm for maintenance to help minimize inflamtion. Would the corn oil be worth it?

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? Equichat, someone suggested it!

Re: Another question! Corn oil for ulcers?

Hi Jennianne,

I wrote to you personnally regarding your thoroughbred, with some suggestions. However, regarding your question about corn oil -- I prefer canola oil since it is lower in omega 6 fatty acids. Corn oil is far too high in this type of fatty acid, leading to inflammation.

But, having said that, using any type of oil to treat an ulcer is useless. I sometimes recommend feeding oil to help prevent an ulcer when a horse is being treated with bute or other NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). So, for an existing ulcer, it is best to eliminate grain, give hay 24/7, and feed a prebiotic called Ration Plus.

Hope to talk to you soon,

Dr. Getty