Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Equine ration software and phospjorus supplement

You must be the person Christian Leutenagger mentioned to me. I recently retired but had worked with him for quite a while in laser micro-dissection applications.

Several years ago I used the KER equine ration software. It is no longer available at a reasonable price. I have been searching for updated equine ration software and am looking for a recommendation. I looked at the Iowa State software which seemed straight forward. Any recommendations?

I am also looking for a suggested source for phosphorus. Ca concentrations in NW hay are generally quite high. Either mono- sodium or disodium phosphate will do. What grade is necessary?

Thank you. I look forward to your response.

Clyde Lulham

Where are you from? Graham, WA

How did you locate this forum? UC Davis web site search

Re: Equine ration software and phospjorus supplement

Hello Clyde,

I generally do not recommend supplementing phosphorus to the diet. Horses can tolerate ratios as high as 6:1 of Calcium to Phosphorus without any problems. The reverse, however, is not the case. Too much phosphorus in the diet can lead to loss of bone mass.

In the case where the forage is unusually high in calcium, such as in 100% alfalfa diets, I balance the diet by adding bran. Rice bran has the highest concentration of phosphorus, followed by wheat bran.

So, before considering a phosphorus supplement, it would be best to have your hay analysed and then consider adding the appropriate amount of bran. To add a supplement without knowing the exact amount of calcium in the forage is risky at best, especially since calcium levels can change from bale to bale.

In addition, feeding monosodium or disodium phosphate can inhibit the absorption of other minerals, including calcium, so you can inadvertantly create deficiencies.

Thanks so much for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Equine ration software and phospjorus supplement

Hello again, Clyde,

I failed to address your software question. I do not know of a worthwhile program, other than one out of the UK (which uses different units of measurement). Sorry I cannot be of assistance in that regard.

Dr. Getty