Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Modipher EQ

Hi Dr. Getty,
I bought a new horse last week and found once I got him home that he has some trust issues. He hasn't been handled much recently and is sensitive to being touched, especially the back feet. His hooves are in dire need of a trim so I ordered the Modipher EQ from your website in hopes that my shoer will be able to get the job done without too much stress. I'm able to pick up his feet but my vet was out over the weekend and was not able to without the threat of being kicked. I've never had to use any type of calming medicine before so I wondered what I should expect when I use this. How long does it typically last and are there any side affects to worry about.
Thanks for such a great website and advice.

Where are you from? Casper, Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: Modipher EQ

Hi Lori,

Congratulations on your new horse! I expect you will do fine with him, with time and patience. The Modipher EQ mist will definitely help, but it is not a drug, so it will not have a markedly sedating effect. Modipher EQ mist is a pheromone -- a scent that horses never forget that they recognize from the days when they were nursing. It will calm him, however, making it easier to train him to trust you.

You will want to mist two sprays into each nostril, about an hour before your farrier or vet arrives. It's a very small bottle, so you can stand directly in front of him so he can't see you well, and approach his nose by petting his poll, and bringing your hand down slowly.

Every horse is different, but in my experience, he will remain calmer for approximately 3 to 4 hours.

Please keep me posted on how things are going.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I'm no expert but I can tell you my experience with it. I've used it on 3 different horses, a total of 4 times. I gave it to a mare with separation anxiety, a yearling stallion going into the sale ring, and my hyper speed demon show horse. In each case I found the horse to remain alert but very calm for several hours. None of them had any negative reaction, and none acted or appeared drugged. While Modipher isn't a substitute for proper training or discipline, I think it could help with training because horses are more receptive to training when they're calm and quiet. One bit of advice: Test spray the vial before you actually use it on the horse. When I sprayed mine the very first time, the spray came out really strong and startled my already-stressed mare. After that, the mist was gentle and none of the horses were bothered by it. I was really pleased with this product and will certainly use it again.

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? through Equine DDS

Re: Modipher EQ - UPDATE

Hi Dr. Getty,
I wanted to let you know that I tried the Modipher EQ this weekend when my farrier came out to trim my new horse.

My horse didn't mind the spay in his nostrils. I did like you instructed and stood directly in front of him so he didn't see it coming. I left him alone for an hour after administering the spray.

My horse seemed a little apprehensive towards my farrier at first but stood quietly while he trimmed his feet and not a single attempt to kick him. My horse didn't look or act drugged, it just seemed to take some of the edge off. While being trimmed I also noticed my horse doing a lot of licking his lips which I know is a good sign.

It was a very good experience for both of us. I look forward to trying it when working on trailer loading.

Thanks again for all your great advice and support.
Lori and Dixon

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Lori and Pam,

May I use your comments as testimonials? I am so pleased that the Modipher mist was helpful. I, too, find it very useful during farrier visits.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
Yes, I give you permission to use my comments.
Thanks again. Lori

Where are you from? Wyoming

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request. By all means, you may quote me on Modifer EQ. I'm always happy when I can help.

Where are you from? Poolville TX

How did you locate this forum? equine DDS