Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding pregnant mare- weight?

Hi Dr. Getty,

My seven year old mare is just entering her third trimester of her third pregnancy. Her weight right now looks great. My question is: do I automatically increase her grain ration to reflect her stage of gestation or do I feed her based on how her condition looks? My 21 year old prego is already on consideratbly more grain, as she has needed it. I just hesitate to up the feed on my 7 year old as she currently looks just fine. They are on grass hay, pasture, alfalfa, Safe Choice, beet pulp (the old mare), a mare/foal supplement and Nutra-Flax.

Thank you!

julie

Where are you from? Loveland, CO

How did you locate this forum? Ablackhorse.com

Re: Feeding pregnant mare- weight?

Hi Julie,

During the last three months of pregnancy, her energy needs increase dramatically. She can gain as much as 1 pound per day. However, you don't want her to get overweight. So, your safest route is to increase the amount of hay you are providing. She should have good quality grass hay available 24/7 along with some alfalfa hay. Alfalfa is very important to maintain a high enough protein intake.

You can safely give her more beet pulp for energy, but I would not increase her Safe Choice, since you are already giving her a supplement and Safe Choice has added vitamins and minerals.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Thanks, Dr. Getty. So if they are eating SafeChoice, do they not need the mare & foal supplement? Or less of it? My older mare is getting 5-7 pounds of SafeChoice a day and two ounces of the mare & foal supplement. She also gets 2-3 pounds of beet pulp. Should I reduce the supplement?

Thank you!

Where are you from? Loveland, CO

How did you locate this forum? Ablackhorse.com

Hi Julie,

At this point, I wouldn't reduce the supplement since Safe Choice does not provide the additional nutrients that she and her growing foal require.

Sounds like you're feeding plenty of Safe Choice and Beet Pulp. Just give her alfalfa -- if hay is not feasible, then you can give her pellets or cubes (cubes need to be moistened). But, hay is best and safest to her digestive tract.

Once the foal is born, her nutritional needs will increase beyond her needs during pregnancy. I would recommend at that point adding Flaxseed meal (Nutra Flax) to her diet to help her maintain her weight and keep her healthy.

Oh -- one last thing -- make sure she has plenty of salt -- a plain salt lick is fine (not a mineralized one), or you can offer free choice granulated coarse salt.

All the best,

Dr. Getty