Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
wood chewing

Hello again Dr. Getty,
I hope everything has been going well for you. I have a question about a mare I am caring for. She stays at my stable and is basically an abandonment case. The owner brought her, never paid board and has come to see her once in 2 years. She is a 14.5 hand black and white paint mare with blue eyes. Her name is Princess and she is Tequila's girlfriend. (Mr I think I am a stallion is very possesive of her.)
I have permission to work with her all I want so she gets light excersize beacause I turn her out with Tequila. I have just begun riding her a little bit. she is definately an insulin resistant case because her diet used to consist of free choice alfalfa and a huge bucket of grain based sweet feeds. She currently gets half timothy half alfalfa like all the horses at the stable, and recently I have begun to feed her some ricebran and flaxseed with a half dose of Grand Complete.
The problem is she insists on chewing wood any chance she gets. As far as I understand this ussually points to a mineral deficiency but her diet seems fine to me so I am at my wits end. Any Idea what might cause this?

Sorry this is so long but I thought you should know her history. Thanks
-Jamie

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: wood chewing

Hi Jamie,

Nice to hear from you! Sounds like you're doing a great job with her!

If she is insulin resistant, she would benefit from Quiessence -- this is predominantly a magnesium supplement and it will not interfere with what you are currently giving her. This will likely take care of her wood chewing, as well, which is often a due to magnesium deficiency (though it can be a bad habit, too). But, magnesium will calm her nervous system, making her bad habits less necessary.

Here is the link: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/quiessence.htm

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Alright, I have been thinking of starting Tequila on Quinessence anyway, so this is just one more reason. I am also thinking of switching to accell instead of grand complete. It has more a more complete vitamin mineral list and it is cheaper. With the grand complte I am paying for the omega 3's and they get plenty of those from the flaxseed. Would this be alright?

also, is there a joint supplement you can recomend to me for Tequila that would be ok to feed with accel and quinessence?

-Thank you!
-Jamie

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Jamie,

I agree! Since you are already feeding flaxseed meal, you don't need Grand Complete. Go with Accel because it is more comprehensive. And, regarding the joint supplement -- the product I have had the most success with is Actiflex 4000. I continue to get positive comments from my clients and have recently started giving it to my own horse with excellent results.

Let me know how things work out!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty