Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
biotion supplements

hi dr getty, does biotion supplements help strengthen hoofs? and also i'v heard that biotion can also be good for horses coates, manes and tails and helps hair grow back, is this true? thanks

Re: biotion supplements

Hi Vanessa,

Biotin is an important component for building hoof tissue, as well as hair, since they are both made from the same protein (known as keratin). However, it is important to have more than just biotin. Several minerals and amino acids are needed, as well. So, I would suggest that, depending on what you are already supplementing, you consider a hoof supplement. If you are already giving a vitamin/mineral supplement to your horese, you can safely add Master's Hoof Blend or Biotone-25.

If you aren't providing an overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement, then you can consider something more complete such as Reitsport HA-100 or Glanzen Lite.

Hope this info is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: biotion supplements

thanks dr getty i am feeding a complete vitiman mineral supplement and i am going to start feeding a bioton supplement. thanks