Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mane & Tail

My niece has a 21 year old Tennesse Walker mare.
Her mane does not grow very long and is not as thick as her 10 year old son. Her tail does not grow as long as his, but looks good.
Her mane grows about 6-8 inches, then stops.
I do not know if she may be rubbing her neck on stuff or she just has a short mane.
Is there anything we can feed her or put on her mane to get it to grow longer or look better?

Where are you from? Utah

How did you locate this forum? Horsecity.com Message Board

Re: Mane & Tail

Hi Ruth,

Well, it could just be who she is and how her mane is genetically programmed to grow. But, if she used to have a longer mane and now it is looking poorly, then she could benefit from additional nutrients.

I would give her an overall good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Accel and also feed her Flaxseed meal. The additional amino acids, vitamins, and minerals will allow her body to spend more "attention" on her mane.

Generally, if a horse is getting only the bare minimum of nutrients or even has borderline deficiences, the hair will suffer because the body's priority is to take care of internal organs and bones first. The hair is low on the list of survival priorities. But, if ample supply of nutrients is available, the hair (along with the hooves and skin) will be benefit.

Keep me posted on how she progresses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty