Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lymphangitis

Hi!
I ws wondering is there any connection at all between feeding and lymphangitis? Thanks X

Where are you from? Ireland

Re: Lymphangitis

Hi Leila,

Ulcerative lymphangitis is due to a bacterial infection that leads to erosion of tissues, particularly the pastern and fetlock areas. As such, there are nutritional supplements that will help boost the immune response and assist with healing. Antioxidants are especially important. Antioxidant Concentrate by Vita-Key is something I highly recommend.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for your tip, is there a website for this product? I had been considering to give her something to boost her immune system anyway, but was going to look into a herbal remedy/product. How do these products function...after a while will their immune system be ok without feeding it?

Hi Leila,

Since you are in Ireland, the shipping would be very high. So perhaps you can find some vitamin supplement in your country that provides ample quantities of vitamins E and C, as well as other vital nutrients. Here is the link to my page where you can take a look at the product: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/antioxidantconentrate.htm

It is a good idea to provide a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement on a regular basis to fill in any gaps in the diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

We had her legs x-rayed a good while ago, she has a hairline fracture in her splint bone (right fore) and she also has weak sesamoid bones, her left fore being the worst...I don't know about ehr hind legs because only her front were xrayed. I'm feeding her glucosamine and she has a mineral lick and salt lick stone.
Is it an antioxidant or something to boost her immune system I'm looking for or is it the same thing? How do these products work to boost her immune system? Can you eventually stop giving them it and their immune system is ok? I was thinking of giving her soemthing, but I was first going to check if I could find something herbal

Hi Leila,

An antioxidant preparation will boost her immune system by removing free radicals from her system. Free radicals are highly destructive molecules that make it very difficult for her to heal.

I would not recommend an herbal preparation. Herbs are drugs and may interact with each other or may not be given indefinitely. Instead, find her a complete vitamin/mineral supplement that she can be on for the rest of her life. This will be the best thing to boost her ability to heal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks...
So I'd be looking for an immune boosting product with anti-oxidants in it?

Hi Leila,

Generally, yes. Look for a high potency vitamin/mineral supplement. This will provide several antioxidants.

Let me know what you find.

Dr. Getty

my mum was able to drop by the feed shop today and picked up a bucket of immune boosting stuff, I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to check with you first... it's called 'Immune Aid', here's the website: http://s104768845.websitehome.co.uk/GWF/prod-immuneaid/index.htm
I hope it's the right stuff and that it helps... it's 60Euro for 5kg, I don't know whether that is expensive or not, but either way it's tugging at the pockets a bit...

Hi Leila,

Yes, this is a good product. It contains antioxidants along with oligosaccharides, which are very helpful for immune response. 60 Euro for 5 kg is about right for a product such as this, though it is expensive. You feed 125 grams per day, which will last you 40 days.

So, for now, I would suggest you purchase it. For the future, you might be able to find a less expensive product -- just do a little more searching for products containing oligosaccharides, along with antioxidants.

Keep me posted on how this progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Ok, so Nelly's front legs had settled down, I was able to put her in the stable and her legs wouldn't swell up, but recently her one hind leg did and I wasn't too sure was it the lymphangitis, but I think it is because it's the same type swelling, and it's now just her hind legs (fetlock to below her hock)Is this usual that it would temporarily disappear and then reappear in a different place
Thanks for any advice and help you can give

Hi Leila,

Yes, this condition can manifest itself elsewhere, which would indicate that the bacterial infection is systemic (throughout the body). I would suggest that in addition to the nutritional intervention, you contact your veterinarian for the correct antibiotic.

While on antibiotics, I would recommend a potent probiotic that provides billions (10 to the 9th power) CFUs (colony forming units).

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

I was hoping that I could avoid more antibiotics, I keep thinking she might build up an immunity to them, last time with her front legs (they were very bad) she had 4 rounds of antibiotics, 3 different types, and with her recently having a perhaps touch of laminitis and more antibiotic painkiller type I'm just a bit worried...

Hi Leila,

I certainly can understand your concern if she hasn't responded to antibiotics. They are very damaging to the digestive tract since they kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, so laminitis is a real threat in this situation.

There is something that you could try. It's called Colloidal Silver. It has antibiotic and also antiviral properties without any of the dangers of colic. You can add it to her feed. It is pricey, but may just be the thing that will work.

If you have a product's website that you want me to look at, let me know.

Dr. Getty

She did respond to the antibiotics (not the first ones, and then he changed them), but not as much as the vet would have liked her to. Her hind leg is troubling me and it is at the stage where she more than likely needs antibiotics (or it's not lymphangitis at all, but I do think that that's it). As much as I don't want to I think in the next few days I will have to give her antibiotics...

Hi Leila,

Well, if you try the colloidal silver, please let me know how it worked. It is not an antibiotic as a drug -- instead it has anti-bacterial properties without the risk of developing resistant microbial strains.

If you do end up giving her traditional antibiotics, please do give her a potent probiotic -- one that has CFUs in the billions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hello again!
I was just re-reading and i was wondering wahat is a potent probiotic?
Thanks
xxLeila

Hi Leila,

A potent probiotic is one that contains large numbers of live microbials, to replace the ones lost while on antibiotics. There are many probiotics on the market, and often times, they are added to feeds and supplements. Look at the label -- it should have billions (10 to the 9th power) of CFUs (colony forming units).

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO