Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feed for little horses

Hey Doc, How are you doing?
I dont know how, but I have a little tiny shetland/cross 2year old fellow, here at my barn for short term board! What the heck should I feed him for grain? He is about the size of my Newf/rotty cross dog...LOL and soo cute. I have never had a horse that little before and I am afraid to feed him too much grain.

Where are you from? Maine

Re: feed for little horses

Hi Sass,

Oh how adorable! You're right about the grain. I would suggest that you simply give him plenty of good quality grass hay, a salt lick, and clean water. You can add a small amount of alfalfa hay to the mixture just to make the protein quality higher.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

thank you for your quick response. so as a growing little guy he does not need to have grain at all?

Where are you from? Maine

Hi Sass,

That's correct -- he really doesn't need oats, corn, or barley (grains) to be healthy. He needs mostly roughage and also some additional energy and roughage. This can best be supplied by feeding some alfalfa. I suggested pellets because that would be a good way to add any supplements you feed. A growing horse should have a vitamin/mineral supplement designed for growth.

All the best,

Dr. Getty