Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
D carb Balance or Quiessence?

HI Dr. Getty,

I have a 12 year old Hanoverian mare who is a VERY easy keeper. She's definitely quite overweight but not to an obese degree (vet agrees). She is not super cresty, but definitely has more than your average horse. No fat pockets elsewhere on body but she is very round.
Her diet consists of 1/4 lb of whole oats and 3 flakes local grass (orchard grass mostly) hay Am and PM. SHe gets an additional 2 flakes at 10 pm. As for supplements, she is on Vita Plus and Ration Plus and seems to do well on them. Her coat is super bright and dappled, her feet are extremely good, even barefoot as they never chip.
She is on a sparse pasture 8-10 hours every day in Late Fall/Winter but MUST be dry lotted in Spring/Summmer as she WILL get obese if allowed to eat grass all night.

I am very worried about her weight and think Quiessence might help her. I have also read about D Carb Balance. Which supplement would you suggest and why.

Thanks so much!
Amy

Where are you from? Franklin, TN

How did you locate this forum? I have used your store before (and thank you!)

Re: D carb Balance or Quiessence?

Hi Amy,

I would suggest the Quiessence for her, at a minimum dosage (1 scoop per day). Carb Balance is designed for a horse with chronic laminitis and contains additional vitamins and minerals which you are likely already offering in your supplement.

Quiessence also contains chromium, which Carb Balance does not. So, since she is only slightly overweight, go with Quiessence.

Also, if I may... I would replace the oats with beet pulp since oats will increase her insulin response more dramatically, making her more prone toward storing fat.

Thanks for asking!

All the best,

Dr. Getty