Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Omega 3,6,9?

Hi Dr. Getty,

I always feel so guilty aobut asking yet another question. I hope you know that if I lived in your vicinity I would have booked more than one consultation for my horse!

I would like to know about the omega 3,6, and 9 thingies in the different oils. Where can I source the different omegas and what would the balance be? I have access to sunflower oil, flax seed oil, olive oil and canola oil.

Thanks
Christine

Re: Omega 3,6,9?

Hi Christine,

No problem -- I'm happy to answer your questions. I do have international clients, however, where we visit over the emails. So, if you should ever wish to work together in detail, let me know.

I would suggest that you stick with canola oil and add some flaxseed oil to it. Canola oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids (omega 9) and also contains some omega 6, and a small amount of omega 3. So, it is a good "all-purpose" oil. Flaxseed oil is highest in omega 3 fatty acids, which are the best ones to offer.

Stay away from sunflower oil (too high in omega 6) and olive oil (too high in omega 9 without much else).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I have been giving my horse 25ml sunflower oil and 25ml linseed, was this incorrect? what ratio should the canola to linseed/flaxseed oil be?

Thanks!

Where are you from? SA

Hi Christine,

25 ml of each oil (canola and linseed) is fine. I just prefer the canola oil to sunflower oil.

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty! I´m sorry tp ask you this... but I read that the canola oil is not healthy... but is it ok to feed horses? Is it a better choice then sunflower or corn oil that are suitable for human consumption?

Where are you from? Portugal

How did you locate this forum? friend told me

Hi Christine,

A while back there was a stream of press that talked about canola oil being harmful because it is derived from rapeseed oil. Canola oil is from a mutation of the rapeseed, and is not at all harmful. And, it is excellent for human consumption.

Soybean oil is too high in omega 6's to offer. Corn oil is also high in omega 6's but not as high as soybean oil.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sorry, I meant Ana.