Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fly protection

What is a good fly protection for when the flies are real bad. I have tried many sprays, what do you suggest? I have heard of Equi-trol. Does this product harm the horse or have many chemicals in it. Does this work or is there a more natural item that works.

Where are you from? Vermont

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: fly protection

Hi Sara,

I prefer to use natural fly sprays rather than chemical ones. However, they all have their drawbacks.

The best way to manage flies is to manage manure. Keep their stalls clean and move manure away from their living areas.

Fly predators are also useful but take dedication in managing them. But, still, to be effective, you have to really have a good manure management system.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Have you noticed in using garlic as a fly control that is helps or does it not help? I am looking for something that may work to feed that could help along with spraying when needed.

Where are you from? Vermont

How did you locate this forum? looking up horse diets

Hi Sara,

I don't recommend using garlic. It really doesn't work well, and more importantly, it can cause anemia in horses.

If you want to add something to the diet, try vitamin B1 (Thiamin) -- it has some benefit in repelling insects.

Dr. Getty