Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feed ingredients

For working horses, can a diet be formulated with corn, molasses, cottonseed hulls, cottonseed meal, and a vitamin/t.m. pack? There is also free choice hay. Is there any reason for concern with the potential for gossypol in the cottonseed meal? Is there a concern with impaction from CSH? We feed cattle and have access to these commodities.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: feed ingredients

Hi Greg,

For foals, gossypol can interfere with digestion but adult horses can tolerate it well. If you have any breeding stallions, I would suggest avoiding cottonseed meal since gossypol can decrease sperm production.

Instead of corn, feed oats. Corn is very poorly digested and is a major contributor to colic and even laminitis.

Cottonseed hulls can be added to provide more fiber to the diet (they have very little nutritional value), but limit the amount to no more than 10% of the diet. Be sure they are free from dust and mold.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty