Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Toxins in our wormers

D. Getty, i read that the synthetic wormers we give our horses all carry small amounts of toxins to kill the worms, and that over time these toxins that filter through or horses liver and kidneys can and will eventually cause failure of these organs. Is this true?

Where are you from? Alvord, Tx

How did you locate this forum? my girlfriend recommended you

Re: Toxins in our wormers

Hello Kim,

It's true that the drugs in wormers kill worms and their larvae. But, they are very safe to use. Worm infestations are far more dangerous than the wormers we use to kill them. And, natural products that contain "diatomaceous earth" can cause tiny lacerations in the digestive tract. So, I do not recommend them.

All horses have worms and they need to be managed, so a good worming program along with periodic manure tests is the best way to go.

All the best,

Dr. Getty