Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
underweight pony

I have a 24 year old, 13 hand pony mare. She weighs almost 600 pounds. However, she is very popbellied and very boney down her back and thru her ribs. She is fed grass/alfalfa hay that is apx. 80/20; and oat pellets mixed with shelled corn. She does not have a problem eating, she doesn't spill any food out of her mouth. She is rarely ridden, she is basically retired. She shares a pasture in the summer and a paddock in the winter with 3 horses, whom are not too aggressive when eating. She is stalled nightly where she is fed her hay and grain mix. She has been wormed 2x a year, spring and fall. This year I've wormed her additionally, being concerned about worms...although non of our other horses show signs of worms. She often has a runny stool. She has free access to water and a salt block (rotated white block with mineral block). What else can I do for her?

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? search for feeding older pony

Re: underweight pony

Hi Mary,

From what you describe, she would likely benefit from Ration Plus. Her pot belly is not fat -- it is due to excessive gas production from inefficient fermentation of fiber. Ration Plus will boost the health of the bacteria living in her hind gut, and therefore promote better digestion. The result will be healthy stools and weight gain.

I would suggest you give her 2 teaspoons, twice each day until you see results. Then you can go down to a maintenance dose of 1 tsp. per day.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty