Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
drippy eyes

hi, my gelding Gibbs is doing so much better since adding Ration plus,but he still has a problem with "drippy, crusted eyes". I asked my vet about this 8 months ago and he said it was just a sign that he wasn't feeling well. now that he is feeling better, he still has this problem. he seems to get a dry cough when trotting (could be just the dusty arena, so dry everywhere). Do you think he's having some allergic response, i.e. drippy eyes,cough. the vet doesn't really offer any advice. his cough is not constant and he is never stalled, prefers outside. Funny note, he's feeling so much better that he followed my trailer out the gate and ran around my neighborhood for awhile. he has never tried to escape before. so all your advice is helping, i guess i just want to fine tune him now. thanks , df

Where are you from? tx

Re: drippy eyes

Hi Dianne,

What you are describing would likely benefit from a complete vitamin/mineral supplement, one that is high in antioxidants to allow his immune system to function normally, and not in "overdrive" like it is now.

Since you are already giving Ration Plus, I highly recommend PreOx -- it offers an excellent combination of nutrients that will help with any allergies he may have, or borderline deficiencies.

I'm so pleased that he's feeling better. Yes, let's fine tune it a little and fill in the gaps.

All the best,

Dr. Getty