Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ENRECO PRODUCTS

How does Enreco products compare to other products with stabilized flax meal in it. I see that it is not just flax, but has other things added. Would you recommend using these products? If not what product do you find that works the best. I am feeding ABC's plus right now and do not think I will buy it again as I do not think it has made much difference in my horses. Have you seen in horses that it is worth feeding it if I am feeding free choice hay,Beet pulp and Accel? Thanks, Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Re: ENRECO PRODUCTS

Hi Kristi,

I am very familiar with Omega Horseshine by Enreco. I prefer NutraFlax by Horsetech because the Enreco product contains oats, along with a few vitamins and minerals (but not enough to be a complete vitamin/mineral supplement). So, if you wanted to add an overall vitamin/mineral supplement to the diet, you risk overlapping nutrients.

NutraFlax is pure flaxseed meal -- no added grain (which I don't recommend, as the Omega Horseshine has). And, it is an excellent addition to beet pulp and rice bran. In fact, that is exactly what I feed my own horses -- rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed meal, the appropriate supplements, and plenty of grass and legume hays.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

How much rice bran would you feed? Where do you get it? Do you feed it wet or dry? Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Hi Kristi,

You can safely offer 1/2 cup (4 fluid ounces) (weighs 2 ounces), twice each day. I recommend Natural Glo stabilized Rice Bran (made by ADM Alliance feeds).

And, I just noticed that you're feeding Accel, which is great -- and all the more reason to go with plain flaxseed meal (Nutra Flax) rather than the OmegaHorseship product.

Dr. Getty