Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Youngster

Moet is a 3yr old part bred arab that I have owned since the day she was born. The problem I am having at the moment is that I am finding it hard to reduce her feed to enable her to loose weight without her getting stressed. She is prone to weaving so I usually ensure that she has hay all day and never runs out as this makes her anxious and hence she starts weaving and sometimes box walking. At the moment the hard feed I am feeding her is a hand full off alfalfa hi-fi and a couple of carrots. Even though I have cut down her feed considerable she is still the size of a beach whale. How can I reduce her roughage(hay)without getting her stressed and is there anything you can suggest to calm her anxiety? ps I do turn her out as much as possible at this time off year because she is also prone to mud fever

Where are you from? Burnley

How did you locate this forum? Browsing

Re: Youngster

Hi Sarah,

There are two things I would suggest. First, try to give her as much freedom to walk around and graze as much as possible. The stress of being confined will make it very difficult for her to lose weight because cortisol production (due to stress) promotes fat storage.

Second, give her a magnesium supplement. In the UK, I have found Laminshield to be worthwhile. Here is the link:

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/laminshield.html

It is similar, though not as complete as Quiessence, which I offer, but the magnesium will do two things for her -- it will help her lower her insulin response, making her more likely to burn fat. And, also, it will calm her.

I hope you find this helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty