Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Troy Feasts on Rye Grass

Hi Dr Getty Well Troy found an open gate last night and had an all you can eat feast for at least 8 hours on very green rye grass. I dosed him with some Quiessence and Ration Plus and will continue doing this for a few days. We have had heavy rains and very cold temps so I worry about sugar content. Do you think he will have a new bout of laminitis and if so how soon do you think we will see symptoms?

Re: Troy Feasts on Rye Grass

Hi Elyce,

You did the right thing by dosing him with both products, especially Ration Plus. It is very unlikely that he will develop laminitis after the fact. If he was going to have a problem, it would have happened very shortly thereafter.

You see, the sugar content of grasses, if consumed in large quantity, can reach the hind gut where it would be fermented. The resulting acid would kill off the bacteria, resulting in endotoxin production, leading to laminitis. But, by giving him Ration Plus, you allowed the bacteria to multiply more rapidly, thereby protecting against losses.

So, I expect all will be well.

Keep me posted.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty