Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Getting my horse to eat rice bran

Hi Dr. Getty,
I can't seem to get my horse to eat rice bran. I started him on it last month to help him gain weight and help his dull coat. I've tried sprinkling it on his hay but I find it at the bottom of his feeder. He is getting one cup of rice bran per day. On the bag it says to feed him one pound per day. But I can't get him to even eat one cup. Any suggestions?
He is being fed an alfalfa/grass hay mix (mostly alfalfa) twice a day and gaining weight nicely. I'm not feeding any other supplements at this time. With feeding the alfalfa should I be concered with the calcium and phosphorus levels and adding rice bran?

Where are you from? Wyoming

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: Getting my horse to eat rice bran

I also need advice on this matter. I have a herd of geldings, on pasture 9 hrs a day, put in at night. Eating Tomothy-Alfalfa hay. I need to introduce some extras...I feed NO grain but want to add some minerals,etc. I like the idea of Rice Bran. I just want to give them seaweed -rosehip flakes,(they are bonkers for it- a Hilton Herbs product)) some rice bran(I hate beet pulp and so do they!) just need to decide on amount. I am going to the rice bran because of your comments on the wheat bran.

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

my horses did not like it either and I gave up on that.

Where are you from? Maine

Hi everyone,

Vicki and Lori -- first let me say how sorry I am to hear that you, too, have lost a horse recently. Thank you for your kind words. Belle was a rescue horse and she was pregnant when I got her. She was in terrible shape and I brought her back to health -- so much in fact, that she became a totally different horse -- beautiful, glowing, and full of energy. She loved to run, but I expect her bones were still brittle from all the years of neglect and all the pregnancies. It hurts terribly to have lost her. And, I know you must still miss your precious friends, like I miss her.

OK -- well -- on to rice bran...

First, rice bran is very high in phosphorus, so I prefer to feed a product such as Natural Glo made by Alliance ADM Feeds because it has added calcium, to bring the minerals into balance. If you weren't feeding this, you might find this product to be more palatable, since most horses do enjoy it. It also comes in a nugget, which provides some chew aspect.

Alfalfa is fine and really doesn't require added bran. Horses can very safely tolerate up to six times more calcium than phosphorus. But, more phosphorus than calcium is dangerous.

Your horses may enjoy flaxseed meal better. And, flaxseed meal provides very important omega 3 fatty acids. It is an excellent foodstuff and high enough in fat to help with putting on weight. Take a look at Nutra Flax on my website for the details.

You can also try adding something to the feed to mix the rice bran better -- even a little water will help. Or a small amount of apple juice, corn syrup, or canola oil.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Warmly,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have decided to stop feeding the rice bran for now. My horse has gained weight nicely and I don't feel he need the extra calories anymore. When I bought him two months ago he was about 100 lbs. underweight. Now I can hardly feel his ribs and he has some fat over his hips.

I had a new question. I know how important it is for a horse to have something to eat at all times. With it being winter I have nothing in my pasture for him to eat. My hay is mostly alfalfa with some timothy. It seems to vary with each bale. You shouldn't feed alfalfa free choice, right?

Thanks again. Lori and Dixon

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Lori,

Good! I'm glad to hear that he's gained weight like you were wanting.

About alfalfa -- I prefer to not offer it free choice. There are horse owners that do feed nothing but alfalfa, but this has risks. Is it possible for you to find some grass hay with a lower ratio of alfalfa? That would be the ideal situation. Let me know.

Dr. Getty

I feed rice bran to our 3 horses in their grain(rolled oats). I add 1 cup of rice bran twice daily and add enough water to moisten it and incorporate the rice bran. None of the horses really like it either but this method really works well for me.

Where are you from? Oregon

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Hi Ruth,

Just make sure that it is a stabilized rice bran with added calcium. That way it will not go rancid and will also have a balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado