Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what is the scoop on Kelp?

Hi Doc, what do you think of kelp as a vitamin and mineral suppliment? Here is a link to it. http://www.noamkelp.com/slfeed.html

Where are you from? Maine

Re: what is the scoop on Kelp?

Hi Sass,

Frankly, I much prefer feeding a vitamin/mineral supplement where I know the levels of each ingredient. Kelp is not balanced in that regard to meet the needs of horses. It's a food, and a nutritious one at that. But, not sufficient, and you run the risk of having too little of one nutrient, and too much of another.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

ahhhh well that makes sense. there are alot of people feeding it and seem to really like it. they say it is great for hooves. What is a good vit supplement?

Where are you from? Maine

Hi Sass,

One that I highly recommend is Accel. You can click on the link to read more about it. It is a comprehensive supplement that provides vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and probiotics.

All the best,

Dr. Getty