Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Delay in responding

Hello Dear Readers,

I will be delayed a day or two in answering your questions. My precious mare, Belle, broke her leg yesterday. It was broken in several places and there was no hope. Putting her down was heartbreaking. I know many of you relate to this and understand how devastating it is.

I need another day to get my brain back in "thinking" mode. Right now, it's only just "feeling."

Thank you for your patience. I'll be "talking" to you all again very soon.

Dr. Getty

Re: Delay in responding

I lost one of my old guys this month......My thoughts are with you- you did the right thing. It is never easy, but just know that your sweet mare was needing your help in her final moments.....and you did the hardest thing but the most correct. Part of good horse stewardship is easing their suffering......

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

My prayers are with you as you go through this.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Dear Dr. Getty,
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your mare. I had the same thing happen to me three months ago. You did the right thing and she is no longer suffering.
Wishing you happier days ahead.
Lori

Dearest Dr. Getty,

Please know that many thoughts and prayers are with you...you've been here to help us all with our equine concerns, and having having had the pleasure of meeting Belle, I know what a precious soul she was (and still is). It's time for us to be there for you now. Losing a horse or any animal is devastating, and to actually have to put an animal down is heart wrenching. I know that myself and many of your other clients and friends know how it feels, and only time can heal that. Belle had a great life with you.

Please be gentle with yourself in your grieving process.

Lots of love,
Triana

Oh, Dr. Getty I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you. Take time and grieve..That's the best way..Again I'm so sorry....

Where are you from? Rhode Island

How did you locate this forum? thru equinesite

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, it's always tragic when we lose someone that's dear to us...

Where are you from? Ireland

Hello Dear People,

Thank you so much for your very warm and comforting words. I plan on getting to your questions later this evening.

You're the best!

Dr. Getty

I 'm so sorry for your loss! I didn't read this before posting and now wish I hadn't until you had more time. I apologize! I'm sure everyone will understand you taking as much time as you need.

My friend lost a companion to Purpura last week, the heartbreak is overwhelming. It immedialty reminded me how blessed we are for anytime we get to spend in the presence of these beautiful creatures.

"We gaze upon their quiet beauty,their natural elegance, and we are captivated. They see us softly, in gentle light....rewarding human companionship with strength,grace and intelligence. As they run through arenas and open fields, past mountains and seas, moving like the wind toward heaven, we travel with them,if only in our hearts."

~~anonymous

~Brigid

Where are you from? Palmdale, Ca

How did you locate this forum? ask jeeves.com

DR. Getty, I share in your sorrow. i hope happy memories will eventually help to heal the pain. dianne

Where are you from? tx

OMG Dr. Getty I am so sorry to hear about your mare, it must have happen right after I talked to you.

Where are you from? trenton