Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
grain vs. beet pulp

I just started adding some soaked beet pulp to my horses feed. He has been getting 3 pounds a day of 11% high fat Poulin Endurance. How much beet pulp would I need to feed to supply what he is getting in the grain? Is their anything else I would need to add besides beet pulp, free choice hay, Accel and a salt block? Kristi

Where are you from? Vermont

How did you locate this forum? looking up horse diets

Re: grain vs. beet pulp

Hi Kristi,

The amount of beet pulp would depend on his energy needs. If he is working moderately to intensely, you can consider adding enough beet pulp to bring his meal up to 3 lbs. So, if you're feeding 1 1/2 pounds of the Poulin feed, you could add 1 1/2 pounds (dry weight) of beet pulp. Be sure to weigh it -- don't rely on a scoop size.

Dr. Getty

I am feeding my mare beet pulp at the moment, there is no grass in the field so she gets haylage (but it is very dry more like hay really), could this cause her to get a touch of laminits?

Where are you from? Ireland

Hi Leila,

It really depends on whether or not she has risk factors toward developing laminitis. Generally speaking, the haylage should not be at all problematic. However, if your horse is overweight or suffers from cushings or metabolic syndrome, then you may need to soak the haylage if it is too high in sugar.

You could consider having it tested for its sugar content, if you think there is a risk.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

What if I did not feed any grain. How would I meet his needs if he is not doing any work? How much beet pulp, should I add other things to like flax or rice bran? Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Hi Kristi,

If he's not doing any work, then figure 1.5% of his weight should be in feed and 75% of that from hay. The remaining 25% can be from feedstuffs such as beet pulp and rice bran. Generally, you'll limit the rice bran to about a pound a day. The rest can be in beet pulp.

Dr. Getty

Do I weight the beet pulp dry or soaked? If I just did hay free choice or grass, Beet pulp, Accel, salt block and free choice water would this be all I need for horses that keep weight on that are not working? How do I know when to add rice bran? Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Hi Kristi,

You should weigh the beet pulp dry.

As I've written to you about a couple of times, I really cannot predict anything without consulting with you in more detail. This forum is intended to answer questions that are direct enough for this type of medium. However, to assist you with specific amounts, time periods, expectations, and the like, I would be happy to visit with you. This type of analysis takes more time than I can offer you with a simple forum response.

If at some point in the future, you would like to make an appointment, I'd be delighted to work with you and your horses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty