Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Change in Diet- Should I worry

Hey Dr. Getty,

Thanking you in advance for my problem...I'm about to move my 3yr. old 14.2 paint gelding that I use for trails. To a new boarding facility. He is currently on Blue Seal 10% pellets and timothy orchid grass hay twice a day...
The New place wants to give him this mixture that the owner mixes himself...10% pellets, 10% sweet feed, cracked corn... 5lbs in the am and 5lbs in the pm
He said that this is a winter mixture so they stay nice and fat...In the spring and summer he takes away the corn...So, My horse currently gets about 6lbs a day now and is fat(maybe too fat) and healthy. What should I do...I give no supplements since he is young and I do sand clear him 1x a month. Oh yeah, he also gives wormers every 4 weeks (zemectrin gold rotated with Ivermectrin)...Help in Jersey...

Carmella

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Change in Diet- Should I worry

Hi Carmella,

I understand your concern. Frankly, there are two things that sparked my attention. First, corn is something I try to avoid because it is very poorly digested and has a greater chance of getting to the hind gut than other grains. Therefore, the risk of laminitis is too high.

And second, your horse is already "well-fleshed" and is therefore predisposed to laminitis.

So, feeding corn to your horse is not a good idea. I would even go so far as to suggest that you reduce grain and sweet-feed in general.

So, if you have any authority over what you offer your horse, I would suggest a low-starch feed such as Triple Crown Low Starch or Lite, or Nutrena's Safe Choice, or even Poulin low carb feed.

Thanks for writing about this important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty