Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ulcers?

Hello!! I have a 12 year old 17 hand TB gelding. I feed him 7 lbs Ultium a day, plus 2lbs alfalfa pellets, and 24/7 timothy hay. He is very fit, but thin. My vet thinks he looks great, but I like meat on the bones. How can I tell if he has an ulcer or not? He sometimes coughs when he eats. If he does what is a good supplement to treat him? He does get his teeth floated, so thats not the prob. thanks for your help :)

Where are you from? PA

Re: ulcers?

Hi Sherry,

I'm glad you're feeding Ultium, since it is low in starch, and high starch diets can aggravate an ulcer.

Generally, horses that are stalled, or whose performing involves running, have ulcers. They have trouble maintaining a healthy weight and can exhibit general malaise and poor health.

He is likely getting the vitamins and minerals he needs from the Ultium. But, his bacterial flora may not be in the best condition. To boost their health, and hence, the health of the entire digestive tract, go ahead and give him Ration Plus. I would suggest a double dose (2 teaspoons per day) until you see him gain some weight. After that, a maintenance dose of 1 teaspoon per day would be adequate.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi!! Thanks for the quick reply. He is pretty healthy. Very fit, nice coat, lots of energy. Ive heard Ration plus can help the condition of his feet too. I have him on Masters hoof blend currently. Will ration plus help with his feet?

Hi Sherry,

Indirectly, Ration Plus will help his entire body, since by boosting the health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut, they can produce important B vitamins, as well as provide more available volatile fatty acids to the tissues. So, yes, the feet will benefit, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty