Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mixing feed

If I was going to start feeding a mixture of flax, beet pulp, and alfalfa pellets, what ratio should be fed so the calcium:phosphorus is correct? Thanks!!!!

Re: Mixing feed

P.S. I feed bermuda grass hay.

Re: Mixing feed

Hi Tiffini,

The ideal ratio is 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. However, horses can very safely tolerate up to a ratio of 6:1 calcium to phosphorus. If you need some assistance with the calculations, I'd be happy to visit with you personally and crunch some numbers for you.

You will also need to add a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to this mixture to fill in any gaps.

As you know, I am very much in favor of this mixture -- it works very well for most horses and can be customized for each horse, along with the proper supplementation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty