Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Worming

Dr. Getty,

I use a worming schedule suggested by my vet and none of them contain panacur. A friend said I should be using a wormer with panacur but the key ingredients in my rotation are Moxidectrin, Ivermectin , Pyrantal Pamoate and Praziquantel. Am I missing something or is this a good rotation.

Also, I think it is great that people can ask questions of a professional with such ease and the fact that you do it all at no charge is just icing on the cake. It means alot to those of use who need ocassional assistance and I thank you for being so giving.

I have been interested in equine nutrition for a long time and I work full-time so getting educated in the field seems to be a slim chance dream. What do you suggest for anyone wanting to get a degree or certification in the field. Do you need to be a veterinarian. My sister in-law is in vet school and she says they really don't spend much time studying the nutritional side of the equation.

Thanks so much!
Barb

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Internet/Friend

Re: Worming

Hi Barb,

I'm delighted that you are enjoying this forum. I am happy to offer advice to fellow horse owners since I, too, am in awe of these spectacular gentle giants. Most equine nutritionists work for specific feed companies, which can make it difficult to get objective advice. I am independent, so I feel that I can offer assistance without the pressure of having to sell a specific product.

About getting a degree in the field... most veterinarians do not take a course in nutrition unless they choose to take one as an elective. So, to study the field of equine nutrition, you would do best to contact a university that has a vet school. Since you are in Florida, that would be the University of Florida -- that is where I studied nutrition and obtained my master's degree. They have a College of Agriculture where you can major in animal nutrition with an emphasis in equine studies.
Hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on your progress!

OK -- about your worming question... You are doing fine. Panacur is a brand name for the drug, fenbendazole, and you do not typically need to include it in your rotation. However, it is a good idea to use a Panacur PowerPac once each year to take care of the specific encysted larvae that the others do not touch. This is a double dosage of fenbendazole, for five days in a row.

Thanks again for your kind words and let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty