Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
triple crown vs. safe choice

Hi Dr. Getty. Was wondering in your opinion which has the least starches, triple crown lite, or safe choice? Reason for asking is I can get safe choice for around 4.00 a bag cheaper than the triple crown. I by no means want to deprive my horses of what they need, but if these 2 are basically the same, I might change. I didn't know if the safe choice had any amount of sugars in them or how much more that triple crown. Thanks a bunch.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: triple crown vs. safe choice

Hi Vicky,

I wish I could tell you an exact answer -- Nutrena is quite proprietary with their formula. However, to the best of my knowledge, Safe Choice is a fine feed and is very low in starch. I suspect that the Triple Crown Low Starch is a bit lower, but not dramatically so. Since the price difference is so dramatic, go ahead and switch. Do it slowly -- taking 10 days to 2 weeks to completely switch over to Safe Choice.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi! I wanted to correct myself. I looked at a feed that I was thinking said safe choice and it was safe and sound which it is 4.00 a bag cheaper. And I don't know the price of safe choice so I'm just going to stay with the TC. Just wanted to correct myself. Thanks for your help.

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Vicky,

Nutrena's "Safe Choice" and Acco's "Safe and Sound" are the same product.

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, I have two three year old quarter horses. I've been feeding them alfalfa hay and nutrena safe choice twice daily, with a supplement of Strongid C2X in the a.m. They both seem to be thriving. I've just moved them to a new barn, in which the owner only likes to feed supplements once daily. Isn't it better, nutritionally for them to be fed twice daily in order to keep the nutrition they receive from the feed "more constant" in their systems? If feeding one large amount instead of two smaller also harder for them to digest and utilize? I look forward to your response. Thanks, Cheri

Where are you from? Palm Desert, CA

How did you locate this forum? Looking up Nutrena Safe Choice

Hi Cheri,

The key with feeding horses is that they need to be able to graze on hay and/or pasture at all times. Horses that are kept for hours without anything to eat can and do develop problems, including ulcers and colic.

Having said that, if a horse has access to forage at all times, it is perfectly fine to feed one meal each day. If the meal contains concentrates (grain, seedmeals, etc.), its size needs to be limited to no more than 3 to 3 1/2 pounds due to the small size of the horse's stomach. And, most supplements can be added all at once.

If a horse is not allowed to graze throughout the day, it becomes more critical to feed them small, frequent meals.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks, Dr. Getty. At the new place they are receiving alfalfa in the a.m., the safe choice in the middle of the day, and then more alfalfa in the p.m. One of the horses gets three 13 oz. coffee cans of safechoice, the other gets 4. Which ends up working out to Red getting approx. 2lbs. and Hidey getting 3 1/2 lbs. So this new schedule should be ok? Thank you!

Where are you from? Palm Desert, CA

How did you locate this forum? Looking up Nutrena Safe Choice

Hi Cheri,

I would suggest weighing the feed to be sure. A 13 ounce can can weigh between 1 and 1 1/2 pounds. So, four of these would be too much to feed at one time.

Also, is it possible to add some grass hay to this feeding regimen? Feeding only alfalfa is done, I know, but it is not the best idea. Adding grass will balance out the protein quality and also the mineral levels.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO