Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
changing feed

Hello. I own a 4 yr old QH gelding. Stands 14.3hh He is currently on Purina ultium and alfalfa pellets, along with his free choice timothy hay. This is my husbands riding horse. He is very energetic and likes to do his own thing. My husband would like to change his feed. Do you know of any feeds or own mixtures of feed that would help him concentrate more? My other horse is on this feed and is doing fine with it. Thanks for any advice you could give :)

Re: changing feed

Hi Lynn,

Your feeding program is excellent. Purina Ultium is a fine feed for an active horse.

What your husband may find very helpful in helping him concentrate more (by calming down his nervous funtion just a bit), is a B Complex vitamin preparation. B Plex is an excellent choice since it contains all of the B vitamins, which work together.

The B vitamins are involved in many body functions, including optimizing digestion, mental concentration, healthy hair, hooves, and skin, as well as better handling of stress.

From what you describe, he sounds very healthy, but he likely has a higher need for the B vitamins than your other horses. This can be given with the Ultium without any problem.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty