Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Olive oil for horses?

Mama Mia, a boarder at my barn gives his (happy and beautiful) horses a good shot of oilve oil every day. I told him maybe canola or rice bran is better? But he said he thinks his horses are benefitting? Who is right? Ciao baby!

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: Olive oil for horses?

Hi Vicki,

You are too funny!

Olive oil is very high in monounsaturated fatty acids (omega 9), which is great for the heart! It's perfectly fine to give this to a horse, though most horses do not like the taste.

As far as benefits for health, canola oil is better because it contains monounsaturated fatty acids, and omega 3 fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid). Rice bran oil also contains monounsaturated fatty acids, as well as gamma oryzanol, which boosts muscle function and reproductive health.

Arrivederci!

Dr. Getty

Grazie for your insight, I am right, I just won a dinner at Aldo's. (Wish YOU were here!! We'd both get to go!!)
Only one correction, his "Fabio" and "Stella d'Oro" LOVE olive oil......just hold the pasta......

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Vicki! You're a !

Dr. Getty