Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
beet pulp

I just read the article posted about beet pulp, just after talking to the vet today. He said NEVER feed beet pulp dry, which I have been doing. He said he has had many cases of horses having beet pulp expand in their throat and cause colic. Is he just aware of the problamatic feeding of beet pulp, because it has been working fine for me? What are the chances there will be any problems. So far they seem fine and like eating it, both soaked and dry. What should I do? Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Re: beet pulp

Hi Kristi,

Beet pulp comes in pellets and in shreds. Perhaps your vet is referring to problems with feeding the pellets dry.

In any case, there are horses that do bolt down their feed and are prone to choke, no matter what you feed them.

Here's my suggestion... Since you haven't had any problem with shredded beet pulp fed dry, I see no reason to change. Make certain that the feed bucket is low, so your horse has to lower his head to feed. This is a natural position, just like when they graze and feeding with the bucket too high is a significant cause of choke.

Also, have water near by so your horse can drink, if he wants, in between bites, or right afer feeding.

There certainly is no problem at all in soaking, if you feel better about doing that. However, some people soak overnight, which is really dangerous because of the potential for mold and bacterial growth (especially in warm weather).

So, whatever you decide is fine. I feed beet pulp dry to my horses the way I described, and I have never had a problem. I have a client whose horse choked recently on wet beet pulp because he was fed at head level and this horse practically inhales his feed. So, you see -- it really depends on the feeding height and the horse.

All the best,

Dr. Getty