Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vegetable Oil Refinery Lipid?

No, I am not writing a science fiction novel about the lipids who took over the earth, but I saw this ingredient listed on some of the ADM (admani.com) products. What is it? Also, I have seen reference to "animal" lipids (not sure how it was worded) on some of their things also. What is Veg Oil Refinery Lipid? Are there solvents used to produce this?
Thanks!!

Where are you from? GA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: Vegetable Oil Refinery Lipid?

Hi Vicki,

I need to see it in context, so can you send me the website page where you have found these terms?

Of course, most oils go through various refining processes. And, animal fats are often added to horse feeds (which I do not recommend).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

The ingredient list on page:

http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/ForageFirstHayReplacer.htm

It says:

Ingredients
Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Corn Germ Meal, Vegetable Oil Refinery Lipid, Sodium Bentonite, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, d-alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Choline Chloride, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Defluorinated Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.

Where are you from? GA

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for sending me the site -- that is more clear.

"Vegetable oil refinery lipid" refers to a substance that is extracted from vegetable oil during the refining process. The exact substance is not clear by this list of ingredients, but generally refers to such things as (1)triacontanol and polycosanol (cholesterol reducing substances found in some margarines for people)or, more likely, (2) oryzanol (rice ban extract involved in muscle development) or, (3) lecithin (to provide essential fatty acids and for neurotransmitter production).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks! Sounds like I'd rather do something simple....
What do you reccommend as a "balancer" for horses on pasture and Timothy hay? Do you like McCauley Brothers Feed, (www.mccauleybros.com) ? Look at the M-30.

Where are you from? GA

Hi Vicki,

It really depends on your horse's needs and workload. So, if they are maintaining a good weight on hay and pasture, I would simply suggest giving them a small amount of beet pulp or alfalfa pellets as a carrier to add an overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement.

Which McCauley feed were you considering?

Dr. Getty

Take a look at M-30 and the Alam. I want just a vitamin-mineral. I buy their Alfalfa cubes, they are lovely, and softer than the usual cattle feed alf cubes.

Where are you from? GA

Hi Vicky,

If you just want a vitamin/mineral supplement, go with the M-30. The Alam is a low starch, complete ration.

Dr. Getty