Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
navicular

Hi I Have A QH Named Jewel, About 6 Years ago she was Huge on the cutting cicrut.(shes now 10) When she turned 7 she was done and went Barrels and poles. I Got her About 1 Year ago she was my first horse and she is like my best friend!!! What im trying to say is that the day after we got her she went really lame. the vet came out and said she had navicular disease in her front right foot only. she only went lame 1 time this summer. and i rode her like crazy the month before but 2 weeks before she went lame i had teeth tooken out so i couldnt ride these two weeks. but it was bad she would only walk on her toe not the heel. the vet we have had lots of problems with this vet about misdiagnosis. is there any thing we can do to help her with navicular.(meds,Shoes and More Trimming)i Was told it flares up in heat. and that it gets worse as she will ages. is this true. Any thing you can tell me would me Awesome.
Sorry For so much Typing
Thanks
Allie

Where are you from? minnesota

How did you locate this forum? net

Re: navicular

Hi Allie,

Navicular disease is difficult to accurately diagnose. To be truly navicular disease, it has to be a problem with the navicular bone. There are many other conditions that can cause heel pain.

If it is navicular disease, it is a degenerative condition that will get worse with time. However, there are things you can do to significantly slow down the process.

One, get yourself a good farrier that will keep the hooves balanced and is familiar with this disease. Farriers who have worked with this situation are familiar with methods to reduce pressure and pain in the affected foot.

Second, light exercise is very helpful to keep circulation going to the area and reduce stress. Do not, however, force your horse to work if she's in pain.

And, finally, I would strongly recommend a concentrated vitamin/mineral supplement that is high in antioxidants. PreOx would be my first choice, if she is of normal weight. If she is overweight, go with Laminex. These will reduce further damage to the foot as well as slow down the progression of the disease.

Hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on how she is doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty