Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding for fertility

Hi, I purchased a mare in October that was supposed to be bred. She was open when I had her checked. The breeder had said that she was bred through two heat cycles and should have settled. Anyway this spring I am going to try and breed her again. She has had one foal so I know that she is capable. I am feeding Alfalfa grass mix hay and she is able to get a little from last years pasture. She is a little fat but looks good.

So my question is what should I be doing to help improve her fertility for the upcoming year. I would hate to go another year without a baby
Thanks, Paula

Where are you from? Utah

Re: Feeding for fertility

cod liver oil - look it up -think it is about 10 mL per week is supposed to help

Re: Feeding for fertility

Hi Paula,

There is a product called Body Builder that I have had a great deal of success with in increasing fertility and maintaining a pregnancy. Please click on the name and it will take you to the link where you can read about it.

And, a very important consideration would be give her a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps in her diet. This will boost her overall health, including her ability to hold a pregnancy. It will also protect the growing fetus, once she becomes pregnant. A suggestion would be to start her on Accel and then once she's pregnant, switch to Vita Key Mare and Foal.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. I do not like to give cod liver oil to horses for a couple of reasons. One, it is an animal fat, which I avoid with herbivores. And, second, it is very high in vitamin A, which horses already get enough of from hay and pasture. Vitamin A toxicities can result in many health problems, including infertility.