Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
OK to feed MSM long term?

Hello Dr. Getty,
Someone today told me they had heard (not sure where) that the new thinking was that it wasn't good to feed MSM for long term use (more than about four months) since they are finding it interferes with uptake of trace minerals.

This was news to me; I've been feeding my Arab and donkey pure MSM powder for about 3-4 years now. Have you heard anything like this, and should I discontinue the daily feeding of it? I feed 1 tbl. to my Arab and 1/2 that to our donkey, and I think it's 10,000 mg per tbl.

I feed it as an anti-inflammatory...more as a preventative than anything. My horse does have some chronic back issues and the donkey we suspect is IR, so they're both on the basic IR diet: low sugar hay, rinsed beet pulp with a custom mineral mix, freshly ground flax seed and Vit. E from human capsules, 2000IU for my horse and 1000IU for my donkey daily, plus a tsp of cinnamon for the donkey.

Thanks!
Kara

Have you heard

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? friend's reference

Re: OK to feed MSM long term?

Hi Kara,

I have not come across any research to imply that long term use of MSM is problematic. Having said that, there hasn't been much research in this area. Most of the research is showing positive effects of MSM use and safety in using it.

For your horse's back, you may find a more complete joint product to be more effective than just MSM. I have had great success with Actiflex 4000, so you may wish to compare it to what you're currently using.

If you come across any literature on this topic, please forward it to me and I'll be happy to assess its validity.

All the best,

Dr. Getty