Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
senior horse

I just adopted a 20 year old QHX that seems like he needs more weight. He is currently getting 6#/ day of Pouling 11% high fat pellets and free choice hay. My other two horses are maintaining good weight on free choice hay and some beet pulp. What should I feed him to gain more weight without the added starch. I think I will start by finding a grain low in starch and then add beet pulp. He needs to be seperated for an hour or so twice a day to eat his grain. I can try feeding three smaller meals a day as he should not get more than he is getting right now at each meal. Kristi

Where are you from? VT

How did you locate this forum? horse nutrition google

Re: senior horse

Hi Kristi,

You're on the right track with your feeding plan. What would be very effective in helping him gain weight is Ration Plus. This will help the bacterial flora in his hind gut digest his forage more efficiently, thereby allowing him to get additional calories (and gain weight).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for the info on ration Plus. What is the best grain for him, is there are senior grain that is low in starch. I have added some beet pulp to his grain and have been soaking it all together as he is not drinking enough. How does Poulins low starch grain compare to some senior feeds? Kristi

Where are you from? VT

Re: senior horse/ poulin

What about EQUI-PRO Premium Senior
With Glucosamine that Poulin makes? Is the glucosamine needed? How does the forage extender pellet compare to other products. I live very close to a Poulin grain distributor that is why I always look at Poulin products first.

Where are you from? VT

Hi Kristi,

Go with the Equi-Pro Carb Safe by Poulin feeds. This is a much better choice because it is low in starch and also higher in fiber. I like a feed to have at least 15% crude fiber and this feed has a very nice 28%.

Glucosamine is beneficial for keeping joints healthy, but I prefer to offer it along with other joint-related substances such as Chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and even hyaluronic acid. So, if your horse has joint pain, I highly recommend Actiflex 4000.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Which would be best as I am finding he will hardley eat hay? I am looking at Triple Crown Senior, this looks like it can replace hay if needed. I a feed for this 20+ year old gelding who needs a few hundred pounds added on and also a low starch easy keeper grain that has beet pulp in it preferably. Do you recommend one from Poulin, what about either Triple Crown or Purina?

Where are you from? VT

Hi Kristi,

Triple Crown Senior is fine and much better than Purina Equine Senior. Poulin Low Carb is also very good.

I like the TC product best (however, you indicated that you preferred to buy Poulin products, so you can go with that, as well).

Dr. Getty

I will get the senior for him, should I keep feeding beet pulp along with it. I feel bad he just eats when I feed him his grain/ beet pulp as he is not eating hay all day long like the others. Should I buy something like hay cubes and soak them for him with beet pulp. Or is he fine just on the senior for forage. For the others I am looking at Triple Crown Lite, as they are easy keepers. Right now they are getting .5# beet pulp for the pony and 1 pound beet pulp for the horse and Accel with hay. This I then soak for them. The low starch is needed to be fed in larger quantities for the proper nutrition. It says on their website that ponies should get about one pound and horses 2-4 on light exercise of the Lite formula. Is this correct? Could this replace the beet pulp for these two horses? Kristi

Where are you from? Vermont

How did you locate this forum? google

Hi Kristi,

If you feed the TC according to the directions, you won't need to add additional beet pulp. For your older guy, however, I would suggest getting some hay cubes -- such as timothy/alfalfa cubes -- and soaking them for him.

All the best,

Dr. Getty