Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
TIEING UP

HI ITS SALI AGAIN I HAVE TO ASK YOU THIS QUESTION DENNIS MY HORSE TIES UP SO EASILY IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO PREVENT THIS. IT MAINLY HAPPENS WHEN HE IS SHUT IN THE STABLE WHEN THE WEATHER IS REALY BAD WE LET HIM OUT IN THE INDOOR SCHOOL TO STRETCH HIS LEGS AND HAVE A GALLOP AROUND BUT THAT DOES'NT EVEN WORK. THE OTHER TIMES THAT HE GETS TUCKED UP IS AFTER A DRESAGE TRAINING HE HAS JUST STARTED DOING FLYING CHANGES AND HALF-PASSES HE LOVES IT BUT I WONT TO NOW WHY HE KEEPS GETTING TIED UP OVER SOMETHING HE LOVES.
THANKS AGAIN

Where are you from? England

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: TIEING UP

Hi Salli,

There are several causes of tying up. These can include electrolyte imbalances, not enough water, and intense activity. But, from what you describe, it sounds like your horse suffers from a condition known as EPSM -- Equine Polysaccharide Myopathy, where excess glycogen is stored in the muscles. To manage this situation, it is very important that your horse be allowed to exercise lightly every day, and better yet, twice each day. Along with this, the diet must be adjusted to remove all starchy sources -- no grains such as oats, corn, or barley. Instead, forages should be offered -- grass hays, a small amount of alfalfa, sugar beet, grain by products, soybean hulls, sunflower seeds, etc.

Give this a try and let me know how he does.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

when you say exercise twice a day just walking him in hand or actually me riding him. This problem has only just accured and it sounds very technical. HEs allowed to drink how much water he likes as he has a automatic water system, and if he isnt doing dressage he is only hacking i dont really understand. Is seriuos cause much of the food u suggested he gets anyway.
thanks again i will keep u posted

Where are you from? England

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Salli,

I would suggest simple walking him and nothing more than a slow trot.

It sounds complicated but actually it is simple to manage. You might enjoy doing a bit of research on this disorder and see if you relate to the symptoms. Just do a search on Equine Polysaccharide Myopathy (EPSM).

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty