Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Platform Feed

Hi I have a 15.2 hand, 1052 pound, hunter riding horse. I feed him 1 scoop of Platform Peformance feed twice daily. Is this a good feed for my type of horse? He is lunged for about 25 to 30 minutes 6 days a week. And turned out for 2 hours every day. Is Platform Performance a good feed to feed him?
Also do you have a recommedation on how much Platform I feed him?

Where are you from? Knoxville,Illinois

How did you locate this forum? Search Engine

Re: Platform Feed

Hi Joey,

From what I can gather about the ingredients in the Platform feeds (they don't provide nutritional information on line), they seem to be appropriate for most horse's health, containing beet pulp, rice bran, and flax. So, if your horse is doing well on this feed, I do not see the need to change.

You mentioned that you are feeding a "scoop" twice each day. Scoops come in difference sizes, so it is best to weigh your feed rather than feed a certain volume. The directions on your feed bag will tell you how much to feed according to weight of feed. So, weigh the amount of feed that fills one scoop and then compare it to the directions.

If you have a 2-quart scoop, for example, the feed likely weighs approximately 5 lbs. This would be too much to feed at one meal. Your meal size should not be more than 3.5 pounds to be safe from colic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)