Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feed Issues

I'm currently caring for a 20 yr old, 1,000 lb qtr horse gelding. He's in overall great shape. I've put a little weight on him over the last 2 months. Now I feed 2.5 lb of Golden Age twice a day. 7-8 lb of coastal twice daily (he pretty much has hay 24/7). Can't feed more often because I work. I've had trouble finding good coastal hay (which he's used to and always eats well). Before having to go out of town I couldn't find coastal so I bought some timothy hay. I was out of town for four days and he didn't eat hardly any of that hay. I purchased some really good coastal when I got back (the 15th) and he's hardly eaten any of that (unlike him). It's only the first feeding but should I be worried? Could the switching be a problem? By the time I get home he may have eaten it all. How long do I monitor him before really worrying? Secondly, although of top importance..is this feeding program okay? Should I be doing anything differently? He gets lightly ridden about 3-4 times a week. No grazing pasture.
Thank you for your advice.

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, Texas

How did you locate this forum? Lynette recommended it.

Re: Feed Issues

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for writing about your fellow. It's really hard to say why he decided to avoid the hay you've provided. It could be due to the change and perhaps even the fact that you were away for a few days and it disrupted his routine. I would give it a few days and see if he continues to pick at his hay. Look it over -- any mold, dust, weeds, cow manure, bugs? I know how hard it is to get good quality hay in Texas (I have to buy hay brought in from California).

About the feed you're offering... as long as you're giving him hay 24/7 and also adding some alfalfa to the mix, this feed will work. But, frankly, I do prefer a low starch feed. See if you can get McCauley's Alam, Triple Crown Lite, or Purina Ultium.

I would also add a Vitamin E supplement and extra Vitamin C to his diet (since at his age, he doesn't produce enough vitamin C). Complete rations typically do not provide enough of these two important antioxidants. And, vitamin C is also used to produce collagen, a necessary protein component of joint tissue.

So, keep me posted. If he still continues to avoid his hay, there may be some other things going on that need investigating.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank yo so much Dr. Getty!
Good news..When I got home he had eaten his usual amount of hay. Whew, I felt better. I had really looked over the hay before feeding since you're so right, we're having a hard time w/hay here. I actually just got my first bale of alfalfa. How much should I add to his current ration? I will get him the new feed and supplements. I forgot to mention that I add a 1/4 cup of corn oil to his feed am & pm. Is this okay? Thank you again for your help and I'll let you know how he's doing on his new feed once established.

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, TX

How did you locate this forum? Lynette

Hi Sherry,

I like to add a large flake (about 4 lbs) of alfalfa hay to the overall hay ration.

About the corn oil -- I would suggest switching to canola oil instead. Corn oil is high in omega 6 (linoleic) fatty acids, which in excess, can promote inflammation. And, that can make his joints painful. Canola oil is high in monounsaturated fatty acids (omega 9) plus also contains a fair amount of omega 3 fatty acids (alpha linolenic acid).

I'm so pleased that he's enjoying his hay! He just missed you!

Dr. Getty

Hello Dr. Getty,

I'll switch to Canola today and order the supplements.
I'll have to check around for the new feed but it shouldn't be a problem to find. I'm sure he's going to love me for the alfalfa! Thank you so much for your help. Now that I know he's ok....I'm glad to know he missed me because I sure missed him!

One more thought...
I will be riding more as the days get longer and the weather improves. Should I be making any feed changes to accommodate for his increased activity? A friend says I should start feeding oats instead of feed as the weather gets warmer. Can I combine oats and feed? If so, what mix? Or, should I just leave him as is?

Hopefully my next post will be to tell you how great he's doing on his new feed program! Thank you again Dr. Getty. You are such a wonderful resource and I plan on spreading the word about this site.

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, TX

How did you locate this forum? Lynette

Hi Sherry,

I can see your smile across the internet waves! I'm so pleased that I was able to ease your mind and help out.

About needing more feed as his exercise level increases... You could add a small amount of oats -- no more than 2 lbs per day. And, I would prefer instead, adding some flaxseed meal or stabilized rice bran. Nutra Flax is the flaxseed meal I like best.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty