Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding change

Hi Dr. Getty

I just ordered the Nutra Flax for my 6yr old that I use for barrel racing. I feed her Grass and Alfalfa hay, Grand Complete/Grand Flex, and a combination of alfalfa pellets and whole oats. I have been thinking of starting her on Ultium but I'm not sure of the added benefit other than it would give her more nutrients when she is being ridden hard and if I should eliminate something if I do. Any suggestions? She is usually quiet so of course I dont want to add anything that will make her come out of her skin. Maybe in my younger days....:)

Thank you so much!

De

Where are you from? Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Feeding change

Hi De Ann,

I would stick with what you are doing. The diet you described is quite balanced. So, there is no need to go with Ultium. If you were to change to Ultium, you would create too many overlaps with vitamins and minerals, since you are feeding Grand Complete.

So, as long as your horse is doing well, I would stick with your feeding regimen. As they say, "if it ain't broke..."

Dr. Getty