Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help, is he getting all he needs?

Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a 3yr old paint 14.1 gelding about 950lbs. I work with Romeo 3x's a week in the roundpen ( 15mins)then I school him for an additional hour doing patterns in the arena...
He is currently on Blue Seal Stridor 6lbs per day am and pm. and timothy orchid grass hay..3x's per day. He is well built...I would like to know if there is anything he is missing from his diet...What do you think of the EquiLix 50....I know even young horses need some type of supplement but I don't want to overdo it...Thank you and thanks for this wonderful site it is a wealth of information...Carmella

Where are you from? NJ

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Help, is he getting all he needs?

Hi Carmela,

I took a look at the Blue Seal Stridor and frankly, I think that your horse would do better on a feed that is low in starch, and higher in protein and fat. He is growing and it is better to avoid large amounts of grain (which can lead to osteopathic disorders in growing horses). Plus, this feed is too low in protein.

Since you are working him consistently, I would suggest a feed such as Purina Ultium. Or if you like Blue Seal, go with Trotter and add some Omegatin to his feed as a top dressing. If you feed according to directions, you won't need an additional vitamin/mineral supplement.

All the best,

Dr. Getty