Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse with ulcers

Dear Dr. Getty,
My daughter has a ten year old TB that we bought last April. He is a hard keeper and is somewhat nervous. We recently treated him for ulcers with gastro guard. What an improvement in his attitude and performance! We are now giving him ulcer guard, but I want to know what else we can do to keep the ulcers away and keep his weight up. He is fed Purina's Horsemen's Edge Pellets and beet pulp plus grass hay. He is a picky eater and doesn't always eat all his food or hay. Do you have any suggestions? Tracey

Where are you from? Georgetown, Delaware

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: horse with ulcers

Hi Tracey,

I believe the Horsemen's edge is a grain-based feed. This is not a good idea for a horse that has an ulcer or is prone to ulcers because starch (from carbohydrates found in grains) increases the production of stomach acid.

So, instead, I would remove all grain from his diet and offer him a low starch feed. If you are able to get Purina products easily, go with Purina Ultium.

Also, to avoid an ulcer, it is essential that he have grass hay and/or pasture available 24/7. Horses are trickle feeders and must always have something to chew, in order to neutralize the constant secretion of stomach acid. So, if you give him hay at night, for example, there should be some left over in the morning. That way you know that he had enough to get him through the night.

I would also recommend one more thing on a daily basis -- that is Ration Plus. This will keep his bacterial flora in good condition, allowing for better digestion and the production of B vitamins (which are necessary for stomach health).

Thanks for writing. Keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,
Thank you for your reply. I will try to get the Ultium and try that. It's not a high protein feed is it? I don't want him to become to full of energy, he has enough of that already. Also I forgot to ask about corn oil. He also gets that in his feed, should I discontinue giving oil? I have another quick question. He is calm and well behaved at home and lessons, but gets uptight and nervous at shows. Is there something we can do to calm his nerves?
Thank you for all your help! Tracey

Hi Tracey,

The Ration Plus you'll be feeding will also help with calming his nervous system since it helps the bacteria produce more of the B vitamins. However, you may want to give him an extra dose of B vitamins before a show. Giving herbal preparations or even the pheromone Modipher EQ Mist would be helpful but I believe they are not permitted at shows. I have a client that uses an extra dose of B Plex (B Complex preparation) before stressful times and has had great success with it.

The Purina Ultium is not a high protein feed (11.7%) and you would have to feed a much, much higher level than that to see an alteration in insulin levels (which can create changes in behavior in many horses).

About the oil... you can safely give him oil, but switch to canola oil or flaxseed oil. Corn oil is too high in omega 6 fatty acids, which can increase inflammation. I would suggest 1/4 cup of oil twice each day until you see results.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,
Thank you so much for your advice. I will try what you have suggested and let you know how it goes.
Sincerely, Tracey